The Search Engine’s New Feature Highlights Women-Owned Businesses
Google, like many other Silicon Valley corps, is always on the forefront of social issues. That’s why it’s no surprise that, as we were celebrating Women’s Day last week, the company launched a new way to recognize female leaders 365 days a year.
But, this timeliness is nothing new; a Google representative made this statement to TechCrunch: “Last year, we added an LGBTQ-friendly attribute in time for Pride. This year we’ve added the women-led attribute to empower women-led businesses to succeed online and enable people to find businesses to visit using Google Maps and Search.”
Here’s how it works: businesses are now able to add an attribute to their Google My Business listing to indicate that the establishment is led by women. This attribute will be visible whenever their Google Business listing is displayed in Search or Maps.
Here’s what it looks like:
Plus, it’s pretty easy to do. If you’re the owner of a women-led business and you want to add the new badge to your listing, here’s what you need to do:
- Log in to your Google My Business account and navigate to the location dashboard.
- Click the “info” tab in the left-hand navigation bar.
- Scroll to the “add attributes” section.
- Click the pencil to edit the selection.
- Select the women-led attribute from the pop-over window. The icon is the symbol for women with the words “Women-led” under it.
Ready to make it known that your business is owned and operated by women? This feature is now live on Google, go forth and prosper!